Monday 7 May 2012

The help


Watching my kids do track and field without me hurts.  I love being a coach. I love playing and running and jumping and having fun with the kids.  Of course I do.  It is part of my identity.  10 years as a stay at home, homeschooling mom.  It is who I am.

Which makes interviewing for full time babysitters absolutely horrible.

I don’t even know my diagnosis.  I don’t even know how long I will need help for.

And it is certainly awkward to explain to candidates.  “You seem really nice – and a good fit for our family.  But I really hope I don’t need to hire you.  No offence”.

If I have cancer, I’m looking to hire someone for nine months to a year.  That will keep us through chemo, surgery, recovery and more chemo.

If I have a bone infection, or some other kind of problem, then I will likely need help for 3-4 months.

According to google (I know, I know), at the very least I will require some sort of surgery to remove the rot and rebuild the bone.  I don’t know how much of my bone is damaged.  I am pretty sure my knee is just fine (no one has indicated otherwise, and my bone scan showed NO glowing in that area). But even the tibia rebuilding will require some rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment